Tuesday, November 19, 2013

What is going on with the Mass

  When I came back to the catholic church maybe 10 or 15 years ago I was very surprised at how it had changed. I remember back in the 60s to late 70s there was a distinct holiness that I do not see today. It seems as though the holiness has been placed aside somewhere. I know it was even different before the sixties, because I remember the old church in the basement of the catholic school where I went had the alter facing the wall and the new church had it facing the people. Plus where have all the statues gone. They are either missing or tucked away in a corner.

  The picture below was in the new church. As you can see it faced the people. This picture above is just an example of how the older church altar faced the wall.
  One of the things that I have found since coming back is the handing out of communion. In the past the priest would place the Eucharist on your tongue, while the altar boy held the plate under your chin in case it fell and he could catch it before it hit the floor. Today it seems as though anyone can hand out the Eucharist. They also place it in your hand and then you put it in your mouth. I just don`t feel comfortable with the way they are doing this today, but I go along with it anyway.
  Another thing that I see is people holding hands during the our father prayer. When I looked into this to see where it started I read that it was ,because protestant people that converted to the catholic church started it and it caught on. I my self do not like the holding of hands, so I put my hands together folded in prayer and pray the Our Father. In my opinion if has not been authorized by the Pope and is not in the rubrics then it should not be done during Mass. If we start making up our own rules then we are no longer following what we should be doing. The people do not make up the rules just because it makes them more comfortable.
  I remember back in the middle seventies they started with the playing of guitars at Mass. I was young and it did not bother me. I actually liked the sound of it and today I play my guitars for my own pleasure. I did however notice that now it seems more like you are at a concert. They are now using electric guitars and loud amplifiers. I remember going into a pentecostal church with a friend once and I thought I was in a rock concert. I remember one Sunday at Mass the person playing the electric guitar all of the sudden started sounding like he was Jimi Hendrix. That was the point when I told my wife we needed to see if we could find a Catholic Church that was not becoming a rock concert. We did find another local church that was not playing the loud music at Mass. They still had the hand holding, but I can live with that as long as no one gets upset, because I won't hold their hand.
  I still see many other changes going on throughout the catholic church that just don't seem right. I believe that the Priest should gather the people together and explain why these things should not be done during the Mass. The problem is from what I have read is that the Priest may be giving the okay with these changes. I hope that one day we will all follow what the Pope tells us as Catholics what to do and that we don't use the excuse that we are the western church.
  Oh well these are just my opinions and feelings. I hope I do not offend anyone, because that is not my intention.
  Thank You for reading and God Bless. All comments are always welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment