Friday, July 11, 2014

Summer Time In The Catholic Church

  Going back to when I was younger growing up in the Catholic Church it was very quiet in the summer time. We were out of school at Saint Thomas The Apostle in Rochester New York. That is where I went to school and graduated from 8th grade. It was usually very hot in the summer and I can remember going to Mass on a Sunday and sweating like crazy. Of course eventually they had air conditioning and that made it a little more comfortable. If you rode your bicycle around the school the parking lot was empty and the church was quiet. If you went to confession on a Thursday there were some people, but not many. I my self when I was a little older liked to go to the early Mass on Sunday, because it was cooler and then I had the rest of the day to relax. What can I say , I was a kid.
  Now when I think about it as an adult it would be a good time to maybe sit down and read the Bible. I know when I was in my early twenties I did just that. Of course at that time my journey had taken me into the Pentecostal church. I did a lot of soul searching in those days. I was dating my wife at that time and learning things I had never thought of. We were married in the Pentecostal, did leave after I realized that certain things were just not right. We then were in the Lutheran church while my children were very young, but eventually decided I had to come back to the Catholic Church after hearing things about the Eucharist that were not right.
  I did a lot of searching, reading the Bible and found lots of books on the Catholic Church. I studied the history of religion that brought me back to the catholic church. I read about the Early Church Fathers after listening to the Journey Home on EWTN. I learned about various people that had come back to the church and some that left other religions and came to the Catholic Church. I ran into situations with other non Catholics and wanted to know how to answer their questions or how to correct them when they had some incorrect view on the Catholic Church. There is a lot of incorrect information going around about the Catholic Church. I believe it is time for us to stand up as Catholics and testify to the true beliefs of the Catholic Church. I never want to put down someone or make them feel bad. I would rather give them the correct information, tell them about books or guide them to someone that can explain various things within the Catholic Church.
  There are plenty of books out there that will explain all the different traditions in the Catholic Church. There are also books such as the Catholic Catechism that will explain many things with the Catholic Church. I would suggest that anyone buy the Catholic Encyclopedia, because it has a wealth of information. There are also various books that explain the origins of the Catholic Church. I would also look into various Catholic Bibles especially the Catholic Study Bibles. You can also look into getting books on the Early Church Fathers. This can be very interesting when reading about various people that were directly associated with the Apostles. There are also plenty of books on the Saints, so you can learn who they were and what they were doing. There are also loads of information on the internet as well. Just make sure that whatever you read has been written by a Catholic.
  Thank You For Reading and God Bless.          

No comments:

Post a Comment