Sunday, May 3, 2015

What Did Jesus Say About The Eucharist


THE LAST SUPPER

  I have always been taught growing up that Jesus said that the bread or Eucharist is his body. He also said that the wine was his blood. I did spend some time in the Pentecostal Church where they simply believe the the bread and wine are just a symbol of his body and blood. Then later on when my wife and I left the Pentecostal Church we ended up in the Lutheran Church. Once again they believed that the wine and bread were just a symbol and not Jesus actual body and blood. This was actually the turning point that brought me back to the Catholic Church. I did a lot of reading to find out exactly what Jesus said about the wine and bread. I saw various shows on EWTN especially the Journey Home. That's where I learned about the word Transubstantiation and what it meant.


Transubstantiation (in Latin, transsubstantiatio, in Greek μετουσίωσις metousiosis) is the change whereby, according to the teaching of the Catholic Church, the bread and the wine used in the sacrament of the Eucharist become, not merely as by a sign or a figure, but also in actual reality the body and blood of Christ.

I listened to various people such as Scott Hahn, Jeff Cavins and Marcus Grodi speak about the subject of what Jesus said and how to tell that when Jesus said you must eat my flesh and drink my blood he meant it. The key part where I realized this was seeing what the reaction of some of his disciples were. They could not accept it and left. Well knowing what Jesus was like I believe if it were only a symbol he would have rebuked them and told them so. When I went to my bible and actually read the scripture below I knew I had to come back to the Catholic Church. You see you either read the whole bible and not just the parts you want to fit your doctrine. Yes I know that some people will say that men changed the scripture, but that is simply not true. It just takes faith. So here is the scripture below.
                            John Chapter 6 Verse 50 to 67
  
50 but this is the bread which comes down from heaven, so that a person may eat it and not die.
51 I am the living bread which has come down from heaven. Anyone who eats this bread will live for ever; and the bread that I shall give is my flesh, for the life of the world.'
52 Then the Jews started arguing among themselves, 'How can this man give us his flesh to eat?'
53 Jesus replied to them: In all truth I tell you, if you do not eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.
54 Anyone who does eat my flesh and drink my blood has eternal life, and I shall raise that person up on the last day.
55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink.
56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood lives in me and I live in that person.
57 As the living Father sent me and I draw life from the Father, so whoever eats me will also draw life from me.
58 This is the bread which has come down from heaven; it is not like the bread our ancestors ate: they are dead, but anyone who eats this bread will live for ever.
59 This is what he taught at Capernaum in the synagogue.
60 After hearing it, many of his followers said, 'This is intolerable language. How could anyone accept it?'
61 Jesus was aware that his followers were complaining about it and said, 'Does this disturb you?
62 What if you should see the Son of man ascend to where he was before?
63 'It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh has nothing to offer. The words I have spoken to you are spiritand they are life.
64 'But there are some of you who do not believe.' For Jesus knew from the outset who did not believe and who was to betray him.
65 He went on, 'This is why I told you that no one could come to me except by the gift of the Father.'
66 After this, many of his disciples went away and accompanied him no more.
67 Then Jesus said to the Twelve, 'What about you, do you want to go away too?




  My only worry is what will happen to the people that do not follow exactly what Jesus said. All I can do is pray for those people in the hope that they will come to know the whole truth and not just part of the truth.  If you are looking for excellent explanations I would check out this link http://www.catholic.com/tracts/christ-in-the-eucharist . I would also check out this link  also http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05572c.htm . I would also look for books written by Catholics on the subject of the Eucharist. You can check out my store below the posts or my bookstore.


  Thank You for reading and God Bless.




No comments:

Post a Comment